What are the Punishments for a DUI?
- July 21, 2016
- Posted by: Amir Ladan
- Category: News
Being convicted of a DUI in Orlando can change your life drastically. The possible sentences take many circumstances into consideration, such as:
- Whether this was your first offense
- Whether you were involved in a drunk driving accident
- Whether minors were in your vehicle
It is vital you find an experienced law firm to help you build a strong defense if you have been charged with drunk driving.
The penalties for an Orlando DUI first offense
Potential penalties for your first DUI offense in Orlando include:
- Up to six to nine months in jail, depending on your blood alcohol content
- $500 to $2000 in fines
- Suspension of your drivers license from 180 days to one year
- 50 hours minimum of community service
- Ten day vehicle impound
Under certain circumstances your license will be subject to hardship reinstatement. You must complete DUI school to be eligible, and often an ignition interlock device will be installed in your vehicle. Destinations will be limited.
The penalties for an Orlando DUI second offense
The penalties are harsher if you are convicted of a second offense. The penalties for your second DUI offense in Orlando include:
- Up to nine to 12 months in jail, depending on your blood alcohol content
- $1,000 to $4,000 in fines
- Suspension of your drivers license for five years if within five years of a previous conviction
- 30 day vehicle impound
If you are convicted of a DUI second offense in Orlando, you are eligible for hardship reinstatement of your license after one year. You must complete DUI school, and an ignition interlock device will be required for one to two years depending on your blood alcohol content at the time of the offense.
The penalties for an Orlando DUI third offense
Your third DUI offense in Orlando is considered a felony. Penalties for your third DUI offense in Orlando include:
- Mandatory 30 days, up to 12 months in jail
- $2,000 to $5,000 in fines, depending on blood alcohol content
- Suspension of your drivers license for ten years if within ten years of a previous conviction
- 90 day vehicle impound
After your third Orlando DUI offense, you are only eligible for hardship reinstatement on the condition that you complete DUI school. An ignition interlock device will be required for two years.
If you have been charged with driving under the influence at an Orlando DUI stop, contact the criminal defense attorneys at The Ladan Law Firm, P.A. We are well-equipped to defend you in state courts in Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Volusia and Lake Counties, and in the federal court of the Middle District of Florida (Orlando).
- Driving Under the Influence / DUI
- Drunk Driving
- The Best Lawyer for Your Case
- How Do I Build an Effective Defense
- How to Find an Experienced Firm
Contact us for a free consultation
Contact The Ladan Law Firm, P.A. online or call 407.208.2323 for a free initial confidential consultation regarding the punishments you may face as an Orlando DUI offender.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover – Flexible Payment Plans
Se habla Español